Friday, October 7, 2011

hello clothes, goodbye clothes, stay around clothes



Last night husband and I went on date to eat at Rubios-- the man knows the way to my heart ... mexican food (especially baja fish tacos).
When we came home, I put my clothes away like a good girl but came to find that they are not all fitting. My closet size is average but far from a walk-in. I think I need to say goodbye to a few things.

In going through grandma's clothes, she kept every basic or classic item and it was so neat to see all the older pieces she kept around. My grandmother had always been timeless chic. The problem is it's a lot of stuff to keep!
I have a shirt I kept while I dated Cameron that I can't throw away. It has a story and too much sentimental value to it. Or a classic black dress that will be in style forever that I can't bare to part with.



How do you know what to keep? Do you keep it for memories or for classic style?
How do you know what your kids may love?
Have your family members kept anything around that you absolutely love what you have now??
What would you keep?

27 comments:

kate said...

The dress you're wearing in the top photos is gorgeous! Where did you find it?

(thanks for your comment!)

Angela [Simply Simple Me] said...

There are so many things I should probably part ways with, but just can't bare to. I got through my closet every season and donate a few items, but I just can't fathom to part with someone I may later want! Sentimental items are always the hardest!

Anonymous said...

I probably go through my wardrobe about four times a year, and I have a strict system I follow.

I start off by looking at all my pieces one by one, and deciding if I still want them. Some of them are obvious keeps (i.e. the overworn blazer, white tee and skinnies) and some are definitely for the charity shops (i.e. the skirt a size too big, the one season wonder blouse).

There are always a few pieces I can never decide on. I put those in a crate at the bottom of my wardrobe and keep them there for about a month. If I don't touch anything in the box all month I charity shop it all.

Hope this helps!

Cassie said...

woah, I could be in a space struggle if I was thinking about what my girl would like to see when she's older. but it would be so fun! I'll have to consider keepeing around some stuff!

FanFamFun said...

i over throw away! i look back over the years and wish i had kept about 40% of the things i gave away. i do have some fantastic family clothes. a beautiful fur stole, a pink lizard skin clutch and a giant black wool wrap all from my great grandma. i have started buying things that i hope my daughter will wear some day (black burberry trench. how can you go wrong?). x

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

Ahhhhhhh. Always such a tough decision!

xo
rachelsayumi.blogspot.com

Lindsay Rondo said...

A pink lizard clutch?!! that sounds amazing! i wanna see. that's awesome you have all those treasures. and a black burberry trench is timeless. you can't go wrong. :) sounds like you got some style coming through the genes.

Nicole said...

thank you for being a girl who ALSO keeps clothes for sentimental value.

i have one dress that my mom sewed for a birthday as a child. i can't bear to part with it. . . a little lace collar and buttons that she sewed on by hand with little embroidered flowers in the center. mhhmmm. . .

happy sorting!
xoxo

Megan Hollenback said...

i have this problem. it takes me forever to eliminate and i end up trying everthing on and keeping it! haha. i wish my mama kept her clothes from the 70s. she had sweet clothes she made and ponchos and all sorts of hippie like treasures. dang.

Chelsey said...

Miles and I have moved ten times in the 3 years we've been married with another move on the horizon (oh the joys. I can't wait to be settled). Every time we move Miles goes through my closet for me and pulls out the items he hasn't seen me wear since the last time we moved. Then I go through them one by one and evaluate each item. Then we gather what we're done with and go to Plato's Closet and sell what we can and donate the rest. Then we go out to a nice lunch to celebrate our newfound freedom.

Sarah said...

I totally relate! I'm usually pretty good at getting rid of stuff (sometimes too good to my husbands dismay), but with my clothes I totally have a hard time.

BTW I'm starting a new series this month. You should stop by and take a look. =)

- Sarah
http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

My rule is, if you haven't worn it in the last month or two, it has to go. It's TERRIBLE and tears were shed (how pathetic am I) but you have to! I had shirts sitting in my closet for YEARS that I just never touched! Or if it's a piece that you can only wear a certain way or with a certain item (because it fits bad or look) like your just TRYING to make it work. Everything in your closet should be something that fits and can be pulled on without any tugs and pulls and magic to make it look right....Oh and also, anything with a hole, tears, or worn down just has to go. I sold all the stuff I got rid of and made $150 to buy MORE muuhahahaa. Aaron thought I was progressing with my clothing, little did he know....!!

In all honesty, now, I don't even remember what I gave away. The memory will fade fast :)

As for grandma, maybe pick a few of your favorites and then pass the rest on to a family member who will cherish them the same, pick a few and pass on to the next one?

As for sentimental stuff, you could cut out the logo and frame it? Then you could actually see it and remember it (and talk about it, conversation piece) instead of it sitting in you closet.

milk tea + polkadots said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You seriously looked AMAZING when you were pregnant! Actually, you looked ridiculously good right after labor. So lucky!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

i tend to hold on to my clothes too but our closet is not as big anymore and so now if i haven't worn in for several months or an entire season i will give it away! it's actually quite liberating doing this.1

Lauren said...

Thank you so much for you sweet encouraging comment! :)
& I know exactly how you feel, getting rid of clothes is so difficult! In the back of your mind you're always thinking, but I might need that piece of clothing later, frustrating! Go with your gut, keep the meaningful stuff and the stuff you know you'll wear soon! Good luck!!

Dee Paulino said...

How do I know what to keep? hmm I don't think I have an answer to this question. Some clothes have emotional value for me, like a few pieces my mother has purchases for me or the sneakers I purchased with my first paycheck when I was 15.

If a piece has no sentimental value and I haven't worn it in 3 months... it has to go away--- unless its something I only wear on special occasions, like a fancy dinner somewhere.

Mary and Dyer said...

Mexican food is also totally the way to my heart! I could eat it all of the time!! I have a hard time parting with some of my oldest clothes that really should be thrown away, but they are total comfort items!! xox

Megan Marie said...

it's so hard to know what to throw away.... i never wear it so i think ok i'm gonna get rid of it. then i can't part with it. why is it so hard?!

tanandmeg.blogspot.com

Katie said...

I am HORRIBLE about throwing things away. I usually keep everything JUST IN CASE I happen to need it. Haha. That phrase kills me every time.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

You should see my closet... I keep EVERYTHING! haha I need to purge!

... said...

I love Rubios too! :) Where else can you get a fairly healthy kids meal for under $4! :) I love that there is no age rule! I am so bad about getting rid of clothes...I somehow can justify keeping so many things!

Jennʻs Adventureʻs said...

I have a long history of moving A LOT, so I'm a huge fan of purging; however, as of late I'm getting a little clinging with my belongings--especially my clothes!! I actually just opened my "California Clothes" wardrobe box and I'm in loooooooooove all over again. I say throw out the raggedy items but keep the rest!! Maybe just look into creative ways to organize your closet?

PS: I found your blog via Steph from The Rest Is Still Unwritten -- stoked I found you -- I read your about section and flipped out when I read you guys lived here in Hawaii -- come back! =)

Unknown said...

i always get rid of stuff i haven't worn in the last 6 months to year. i have a few memory items at home in my closet of my old room but i like the idea of keeping some things for my kids to see, that would be fun! then they could wear them and prob by then it will be "in" again. and so hilarious bout the surfer boys shirt. i had the SAME ONE forever in high school. but i got rid of all my clothes from high school. good luck!

TRICKY said...

i am SO sentimental as well and have emotional ties to clothing. definitely keep the basics- plain tees, jeans that still fit, etc. that stay in good shape. I never throw out sweaters or jackets that stay in great shape- living here in san diego, we only wear them barely one season out of the year. for some reason, i always keep dresses as well. i've always tried to buy classics that stay in style. i also have a few storage bins that i rotate- one for winter and one for summer that you can keep in the garage or attic and it's a surprise of clothes when you get it out and you forget what you had! it also frees up closet space. good luck!

Alex said...

I love that "I love surfer boys" t-shirt! :) Adorable!

http://masteringthesaturnreturn.blogspot.com/

sophie said...

rubios?!

my heart just skipped a beat. my how i miss san diego when i least expect it!

Emmett Katherine said...

My sister has a rule, if she hasn't worn it in a year it's gone! O have a harder time letting go of stuff but I usually keep things that are well made an timeless (silk blouses) and the occasional funky piece. My mom had some really great clothes she saved from the 70s that me and my sister wore to death.

For sentimental clothes I've heard of people keeping a piece of the material and scrap booking or making a quilt from it. Good luck with the closet cleaning!