
As I have said before, this training is all new to me. When I run, I must be equipped with all my favorite essentials to make sure I can finish. Am I high-maintenance runner? Possibly. But when you are running that long, you deserve to have everything just right to make the training a smooth ride.
1. Garmin- I never thought I would want one of these but guess what, I do! I used to be strictly a treadmill girl because I liked having numbers in front of me keeping my pace and distance but this watch allows me to do it anywhere. We have been borrowing my mother-in-law's watch and when we don't get the chance to borrow hers, we turn to the free iMapmyRun app that is just as accurate.
2. Lulu Lemon no slip headband- I like wearing a headband to keep layers, flyaways and post baby hair regrowth to my head! I have an issue with tighter headbands giving me an awful headache but this one has just the right tension to keep my hair out of my face minus the headache and slipping as other headbands do. I also have another plain head band from Lulu Lemon without the grip and I like it just as much.
3. Eggs- I have found exactly what I need before a good run! Something that can give me some gasoline for my longer distance runs. Eggs + a piece of whole wheat bread is just perfect. Some don't like eating at all before they run but I personally feel that my body really needs it.
4. Zipfizz- I realize this is probably half mental, but for those 8+ mile runs, I love to have a little pick-me-up at the half point. It tastes good and gives me that little boost to finish the second half. And its size is ideal to carry in a pocket or slip in a strap of a jogging bra. I also tried GU energy gel which was really yummy. Its clear gel look is deceiving when it tastes like chocolate pudding.
5. Lightweight tank tops- I love any tank top that makes me feel like I'm running in just a sports bra. Lightweight and almost tissue is perfect. Plus, racer-backs always make your shoulders look extra strong and sexy, don't you think?
6. Under Armour Zip-Up sports bra- (I apologize if this is getting too personal for you) You might say that $50 is a lot for a sports bra but I think it was one of my best investments. I bought this right after Krew was born and I love it. The front zipper was especially useful while nursing but nursing or not, I love this bra. It is tight enough to tame the ladies with letting me intake air! :)
7. Under Armour water bottle- I have learned that hydration is important during your run but also the week before! I was having horrible stomach pains post-run when I would eat. I wasn't able to eat for hours after which was frusterating when I was hungry! GIVE ME SOME FOOD! My mother-in-law suggested that I do a better job of hydrating all week long before and guess what?! Those tummy aches quickly vanished and now I eat post-run pain free. This water bottle is perfect; I love how it squirts with a twist top. Someday I would like to venture into the water bottle belts so I could be hands-free but for now this works great to run with.
8. The shorts Cam gave me (similar but mine have stripes on the sides)- not only do these make you a fashionable runner but I have realized the importance of those little linings/panties inside! They keep my shorts in place as I run!
I realize that everyone has what works for them and these happen to work for me. I also wouldn't be able to train without Cameron my awesome running partner and babysitters (mom and Shannon) who have watched Krew. And let the training continue!
13 comments:
Nike tempo shorts are my favorite!! I used to work at a sporting good store selling products like these, and several of them were top sellers! :)
love all these tips! i made the mistake of wearing reebok normal shorts when out for a long run & the waistband rubbed really badly, will definitely check out these nike ones, they look comfy. Also need to get me a headband (HATE it when stray hairs get in my mouth, blugh!)
good to hear the breakfast tip too. my usual breakfast of porridge is far too heavy, eggs sound good.
Katie x
good to know! I am training for two 1/2 marathons that I am doing this year. Well, I haven't actually started training, but I will be this weekend! :)
hanlonfamily2.blogspot.com
I love eggs!!!
ahh I loveee LuLu Lemon.
and how dare you have a baby and look so amazing...geesh! Just lovely!
Thanks for the comment earlier, and for following me.
I am following you too :)
Xo Samantha
www.samanthaelizabeths.blogspot.com
you go girl. i can't wait to hear all about your "real" run. looks like you have all the right stuff to get you to it!
I just had an Aha! moment! I always have problems with my shorts riding up when I run, and you mentioning the shorts with the panties in them...Well it made me say "Duh Lindsey!". I guess I know what I'll be looking for now! :)
its so awesome that you are trainin! I hate running so much but Im starting to feel like everyone does until they decide to just buckle down and do it. I'm gonna try harder in the spring. thx for the inspiration
Can't live without the Garmin when training. CAnnot! Look on craisglist, I got mine like brand new on there for way cheaper also walmart.com has that model for cheap now that there are newer models.
I heard your running partner was hurt:( I hope he's better by the half!
I have been catching up on your blog. I love it all!!! I am jealous of your weather and your trip to Hawaii. Your little man is adorable! And you look amazing,and congrats on the marathon! I love the under armor bra. My mom got one for me anf its the only one that keeps them in place without having to wear 2 bras!!
I just bought that sports bra because of this post and I love it! I am nursing right now and I got sick of having to lift up my bra to nurse, so the zipper is perfect. And the ladies are tamed :) Thanks for the suggestion!
Where do I need to go to purchase this sports bra Elle by under armor
Post a Comment