Monday, January 9, 2012

and at about 7, i felt i could go no longer.

We had our eleven mile run and it's crazy to think that is only 2 miles less than the real thing! We ran up the highway 101 and ran back on the beach. Because of where we started, we had a longer way back to our ending point. I think it was something like 4 miles out and then 7 miles back which is pretty deceiving when you think of your turning point being half way. Don't get me wrong, I was fully aware of our route. On our run back on the beach, at our 7 mile point I started to lose my steam. I couldn't stop thinking about how far our ending point was. I wasn't tired, I was mentally losing steam. The entire run would be around 2.5 hours of running (I'm a very slow runner folks but I'm improving) and the thought of running that far and long was exhausting. I had run out of things to talk about with Cameron because I was only dreading what I had ahead.

Frankly, I was fighting it-- fighting the fact that I had to run.

"You're going to have to talk me through this one, Cameron." The line sounded too familiar to something I had said to him during childbirth. I had turned into a running, whining baby.
Up ahead on the almost empty beach, I saw a young man walking with a woman. He turned back to say something to a friend when I recognized that hair.
"Cameron!" I said with quiet excitement. I got a boost of energy as I realized who it was. Walking along the shore was Rob Machado, a famous surfer who I had seen before but never on an empty beach. My pace suddenly picked up as Cameron laughed at my star struckness. I contemplated saying hi as we ran by but considering this area was his local spot, I decided to keep my cool. I ran by excitedly and my energy kept me going. I didn't look back and I was regretting the fact that I didn't have my phone with me for the best ever photog jog. And to top it off, the sunset was unreal-- unreal I tell you. The cloudless sky was lit even after the sun went down and the water turned into an electric blue with an orange sky. Boy did I wish I had my camera.
Through the rest of the run, we had plenty to talk about as the sun set to our left. And at the end, oh my was it good to be finished.

Do I like running yet?

Let me answer it this way: I have learned why I haven't liked it in the past. I fought it with all my energy the entire time. I despised every second and mile of it. Am I a runner? No. I'm I an athlete? Of course not. But I have learned to train and to bear with it, to realize that it will feel amazing afterwards and that post-run feeling is what I love. My positive running mentality is what matters most. And heaven forbid that a pro surfer doesn't appear out of the blue on an empty beach to give me some extra adrenaline, I better have the right mindset to keep going and finish.

Rob Machado with Blake Lively for a shoot in Vogue, June 2010

Post note: Since this post, we have ran our 12 mile which was surprisingly easier than the 11 mile. We are now decreasing in mileage until the real run. Our longest run being 8 this week! Nice.

24 comments:

Stephanie Shepherd said...

Awesome awesome awesome lady! I was reading this post and my goodness the emotion of it all is all too familiar. I'm so glad to hear you finished strong! When is race day?

The Egg said...

keep up the awesome work! it's all downhill from here. i CRASHED on mile 12 during the race but you just gotta keep shuffling and you will get there. i actually never ran the 12 mile in training so you already have me beat. congrats, you are a rockstar!

Lindsay Nicole said...

You are a rockstar! And loved this post. Good luck miss!

Melissa at Tall Blonde Blog said...

Amazing! Congratulations and Good luck!!!!!

Drew Hollenback said...

awesome, good job! thanks for answering my question :) that is my new years resolution to learn to enjoy running, so this helps! i have a long ways to go. that is so funny about the surfer, i totally know what you mean tho by getting that boost you needed. good luck!

Susan said...

I absolutely LOVE to run, but unfortunately I can't anymore. I have lyme disease and I have had it for a long time and running is just too hard on my body. I ran track and cross country all the way through college and I miss that feeling so much. I'm so proud of you that you are going to do this race, I have friends that hate to run, so I know how big of a deal this is for the "anti-runners." :)

Nicole said...

you amaze me girl.

xoxo

Eliesa said...

rockstar. i HATE running haha, so I really admire you for this.

Katie said...

i know the feeling! and mine is only after like three miles haha. but you have far surpassed me, and it sounds like your willpower is strong. good for you! :)

Lindsay [Elle Elizabeth] said...

Keep up the good work! You're way more motivated than me :)

Unknown said...

this is awesome and i am so jealous because i am in love with rob machado, he is the greatest!

Jessica said...

oh my goodness, I saw him on an episode of Cupcake Wars!Awesome.

Keep up the training. You will do great!!

Emma Vidmar said...

i just found your blog, and stalked it thoroughly. Your family is adorable. i'm definitely a follower now

As for running, i totally empathize with you in hating every second of it, and yet that feeling when your done makes it so worth it!

-Emma

jemmza.blogspot.com

Randi said...

keep up the good work! :)

Jessica Dimas said...

Just READING your post on running makes me tired, kuddos to you!

Urban Nester said...

You will have so much adrenaline during the run, it'll be a piece of cake :] Good luck!

x.
http://alwaysamrsforeverakidd.blogspot.com

Alex said...

Wow, I am impressed! This puts my 3.5 miles on the elliptical to shame. That is so cool that you saw Rob Machado. I must admit, I am not a surfer but my boyfriend is. We often drive by his home in Cardiff and the boyfriend gazes longingly at the wetsuits hanging on the porch as if we may catch a glimpse one of these days ;) Happy New Year!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I did a half marathon a couple years ago and it is the best feeling of accomplishment ever! :) You can do it! I hate running, but I LOVE the feeling AFTER!

Mariana said...

What I love about running is the feeling after.

You are amazing! Good luck!

Katie said...

this is really interesting! i definitely believe in the whole mind over body thing. you've totally inspired me to enter the half marathon around the london royal parks this year :)

Katie x
{Glass of fashion}

kylie said...

lindsay. i'm running now too. it's weird in LA. do you jog in place? because i feel silly doing it at lights. and then i took some photog jog photos thinking of you (and zooey of course). i thought it funny. good work on the miles, girl. i'm hoping to get there too. just wish i were closer to the beach - you have it good my friend. love you!

Māhie's Parents said...

i LOVE blake lively, even though it has nothing to do with this post...and im taking a 6am jogging class and am usually the last one to finish, so dont feel bad!!

Adam and Dawn said...

It's nice to know I can connect with somebody on the running front. Despise it...however, this post is truly motivating! Way to go!!

brooke field said...

its so hard to get into running, but it can be done!