Thursday, December 1, 2011

time to buck up

goodbye ol' runners

It was last Sunday night after a long Sunday day of traveling, unpacking and mothering that I sat in my bedroom talking to Cameron about nonsense and things. Cameron brought up the idea of running a half marathon (see! nonsense!), an idea that was brought up a few days ago as I was consuming a deliciously good in-n-out burger with my mind far from anything to do with health or fitness. Sunday night I was tired, possibly weak, and my mind clearly does not function right without sleep and so I answered back, "Ya, I'll do it."
Monday morning I awoke to the smack of reality realizing I had a 3-mile run that day. And then I remembered what I agreed to... a half marathon! Could it be a bad dream? Not only a half marathon but a half marathon in mid January. That is a month and a half away folks. I thought about how I don't think my body is physically capable of running that distance. I felt a little nervous and sick but also of how happy Cameron was that I was doing it. And I wanted to do it for myself in a strange way, even though I think the idea of paying someone to go run for miles is absolutely silly. I'm not a runner so I don't see the joy in it. I'm not a runner at all. I actually despise running and I'll remind you of that the entire time I run. And as you may know, I take pictures while I run, I'm a photog jogger. Do I really seem like a serious runner here? no. But now it's time to buck up and do it.
In result, we decided a month early anniversary present to us: half marathon entry fee for two and some desperately needed new running shoes for two. Can this get anymore romantic? I think not.
So here I am running. I will be doing 4 training days per week (we are cramming them in since we are a little late). I have run 7 miles this week so far and I'm off to do another 3 today.
It's beyond doubt I have lost my mind.

23 comments:

Marcos and Angela said...

oh linds... i admire you very much!!! haha but you are crazyyy! but i believe in you, you can do it :)

Kim said...

You can totally do it! I'm going to do one too...someday haha. Check out The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get off Your Butt and On with Your Training by Dawn Dais. It's a humorous and helpful read that will keep you motivated :)

Pike's Place said...

agreed. silly to pay someone to run! You'll do great...have fun!

Stephanie Shepherd said...

You've got this! I'm not a runner either, BUT, I ran a marathon after training for 2.5 months. Crazy? Yes. But rewarding in more ways than one. Just think, mind over body (because as long as you can put one foot in front of the other it really does become such a mental feat). I'll cheer for you along the way! :)

Stephanie Vogel said...

You can do it! 6 weeks is cutting it close but any training is better than none at all!! I can email you a training program if you don't have one. Let me know! If you have any questions I ran one so I can help! It's really amazing what the body can accomplish and you will enjoy it...after the first 6 or so runs :)

Unknown said...

you go girl!! i am thinking of running one in a little over a week....shoot me.

Bonnie said...

I miss running so much! Good for you. You have been racking up the miles lately.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Ash said...

awesome and go you! this is inspiring- i hate running.. hate hate hate it, but I LOVE to work out and I LOVE the gym... perhaps I'll get hubby to start running/jogging/walking with me tomorrow- I'd love to run a marathon... great job and keep it up!

Leah said...

Good luck! I'll be routing for you. I have wanted to try a half marathon so I'll be anxiously waiting to hear how it goes.

xo L.

The Egg said...

hey girl, i finished my first in september and it was SO worth it. i only trained for about a month so you have me beat!!! stick to your training schedule and you'll do awesome. slow and steady wins the race. check out my post on it here: http://theeggoutwest.blogspot.com/2011/09/runners-high.html

good luck!!

Jenna said...

good for you! i HATE running. i just got a jogging stroller and i love it. its made me want to get back in shape.ive been jogging or running since i got it! GOOD LUCK!!

Emma Frances said...

You. Are. Awesome! I don't think my husband could ever get me to agree to that! Haha. Good luck!! :]

Kenzie said...

are you doing the same one as me out here in Temecula with Auntie Shannon too??

Ashten @ Just Go Left said...

In-N-Out is one of my favorite things, EVER.

Nicole said...

whoooaaa dude. i admire you in so many ways right now.

i've def been thinking i need more running in my life with thanksgiving and christmas. oy.

cheers to being awesome.

xoxo

Daniela said...

you can do it!! Can't wait to see the photos which, being a photog jogger and all, I know you'll take!

Susan Borland said...

you go girl!
When's the half marathon?

love,
SUZE
susanborland.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

You are so brave! I could never run that far probably because I hate running and because I am not very fit.

But I bet you will be amazing..good luck!

Now I feel like I should do some exercise and wipe the layer of dust off my trainers.

Nessa @{Casa Braaflat} said...

you and i think alike when it comes to running. i actually blogged about how miserable it makes me as well! haha

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

YOU CAN DO IT! I did a half marathon and it felt amazing :) One of the best feelings of an accomplishment that you can ever have in my opinion. I want to do a Marathon next... yikes... we will see if that happens! haha

Katie said...

oo good luck with the half marathon! i ran one last year (on my own - i just planned the route ready for when i was having a good running day!) it's hard work, but certainly do-able if you run a bit already :)

Katie x

rachele and jordan said...

Oh I'm so glad you're doing a 1/2! Training sucks, but the actual race is so fun and totally worth it. I love 1/2s they're the perfect distance. You'll do great, just be consistent with training runs. Good luck with training!

Michelle (michabella) said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!! The training is the hardest part! ENJOY race day!! I finished my first half marathon in December 2.5 hrs. Amazing feeling to cross that finish line. :)