About 5 or so years ago, I obsessed over puppies-- dogs in general. Every Christmas List I made "puppy" was at the top. I married a handsome man that is not a huge dog lover and I could never understand that?! Absurd! I grew up with a dog and my dog was one of my best friends. How could someone not want a dog??!!! They must not have a heart! Since mid December we have had grandpa's little puppy as our neighbor, the one pictured above. Isn't he cute? And somehow since December, I have seen the work that really goes into a puppy. And now that puppy is turning into an older pup. I have seen and sometimes cleaned up doggy potty accidents. I have seen nipping and heard whining and had barks wake my baby too many times. I smell stinky wet dog too often. And today, our little neighbor dog came and chewed up some of my favorite kitchen items I got from my bridal shower. I was super bummed out. Bummed out that a dog wasn't quite looking as appealing as it used to be. Can we go back to the time where dogs were all cute and I was oblivious of the upkeep? I am really trying to tell myself I still want a dog, I really am. (And keep in mind, we are very far away from actually getting one, like years away.) It's just that dodging dog poops in a lawn or being covered in dog hair doesn't sound too inviting to me. But then I see Krew and his neighbor puppy friend playing in the yard together and my heart melts. Nothing cuter than a little boy and a pup exploring the world together. And that's when I think I can deal with it all for the experience I had of growing up with a loyal doggy as one of my best pals.
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
I'm trying, I really am...
About 5 or so years ago, I obsessed over puppies-- dogs in general. Every Christmas List I made "puppy" was at the top. I married a handsome man that is not a huge dog lover and I could never understand that?! Absurd! I grew up with a dog and my dog was one of my best friends. How could someone not want a dog??!!! They must not have a heart! Since mid December we have had grandpa's little puppy as our neighbor, the one pictured above. Isn't he cute? And somehow since December, I have seen the work that really goes into a puppy. And now that puppy is turning into an older pup. I have seen and sometimes cleaned up doggy potty accidents. I have seen nipping and heard whining and had barks wake my baby too many times. I smell stinky wet dog too often. And today, our little neighbor dog came and chewed up some of my favorite kitchen items I got from my bridal shower. I was super bummed out. Bummed out that a dog wasn't quite looking as appealing as it used to be. Can we go back to the time where dogs were all cute and I was oblivious of the upkeep? I am really trying to tell myself I still want a dog, I really am. (And keep in mind, we are very far away from actually getting one, like years away.) It's just that dodging dog poops in a lawn or being covered in dog hair doesn't sound too inviting to me. But then I see Krew and his neighbor puppy friend playing in the yard together and my heart melts. Nothing cuter than a little boy and a pup exploring the world together. And that's when I think I can deal with it all for the experience I had of growing up with a loyal doggy as one of my best pals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
lol we just a puppy in oct and they are soo much work!! but I love him so I dont mind lol
http://theelegantlifeofe.blogspot.com/
Puppies really are so much work and require soo much attention. We have a 4 year old beagle mix and are looking into getting her a doggy friend but are going to adopt a one year old dog instead of a puppy -
still cute and fun but already potty trained and out of the teething phase! Lol.
puppies really are a ton of work but i think the cuddles at the end of the day are completely worth it! then again, i have a small dog so it wasn't too terrible training him.
xx jes
i'm in the obsessed with puppy phase and it will never be satisfied until i have my own. period.
I love dogs, evne if it's a lot of responsability, the love they give you is unic :)
so cute
xoxo
awww puppies are just too irresistible!
<3 Sharmaine Ruth
underpeachtrees.blogspot.com
We adopted a dog from a rescue group who was 18 months old so she was already through the puppy phase and basically totally potty trained!
Now THAT'S the way to do it. We LOVE our Daisy : )
After years of my brother begging for a dog (and playing with our neighbors dogs nonstop) my parents finally caved, and looking back, they probably shouldn't of. My brother grew out of the dog phase and now my mom and I are the ones who take the most care of him. I still love him though!
We trained Nixon to only go potty in the woods so we never have to worry about dodging poo and urine burning the grass. It's worked out very well for us and Caiden is in love with his dog. Dog was his 3rd word. They puppy phase is hard... Potty training is a NIGHTMARE. But they're just soo very cute it makes up for it. But remember to keep all your heels off the ground. A lesson learned the hard way unfortunately..
Swede poops in the same bush everyday (we trained him that way) so no doggie dodging over here :)
There are things you can do to make it easier. But you're right, cleaning up doggie accidents and having things chewed NEVER gets better--although, the breed does help. Swede only chews on things occasionally (and of course he picks my FAVORITE things).
They make up for it in love :)
My entire life, I've had a dog, and always will. Diesl is the love of my life! He's always there when I need him and doesn't judge...and he doesn't get mad when I squish his fat face! :) Dogs RULE! :)
eachdayinthislife.blogspot.com
What an adorable puppy!!
I think if you get a good, calm breed it won't be as exhausting and take too much responsibility.
I just love my pup and couldn't ask for a better friend by my side each and every day ;)
They are super duper hard work! My dog is now a little over two and he's at that point where I can completely trust him not to chew anything up or jump on the couch, which has been a wonderful feeling... I've done it, I've trained my dog, I can now sit back and enjoy him without fretting about my belongings... and then you know what happened last week... I went to my friend's house and her puppy ate my glasses!! My $450, only six months old glasses!! I really wanted to stay mad at her, but her little golden retriever face wouldn't let me :)
we adopted an adult dog from a shelter, so we were lucky to completely skip the puppy phase, all that potty training, and chewing. And he's a short hair dog, so minimum shedding. Although puppy cuddling is the best, its not quite as awesome after they chew up your shoes.
Dealing with so many of these doggy issues now. The smell, the poo, the attitude, the vet bills. She's still worth it.
what about rescuing an older puppy/dog from an adoption center? those dogs are the most loyal and so grateful that you've opened their home. most places let you "test run" dogs too to see if you are a good fit for your family and most are potty trained!!
the egg out west.
This sounds so stupid, but I would go NUTS without my dog. She can be quite the stink sometimes, but she is full of love!
I used to write letters to Santa and ask for puppies! Never happened...le sigh, my dad is allergic.
Five years ago my dog died of the tick-borne disease (Even if he was protected against ticks!?) and I was so sad... I don't know if I could have a dog again... But, like you wrote, there is nothing cuter than a little boy and a pup exploring the world together. And now I have a 2-year old boy and... ??
I've just read the story about your dog and I have tears in my eyes... I don’t want my boy to experience this pain, but I want him to experience this love. And if these come in a package together… Love is stronger!
We had a cat, and most are pretty independent creatures, but it still felt like a lot of work taking care of kids and a pet. But they're so much fun. I figure there are many years ahead we can enjoy hopefully an easy pet some day. I'm thinking chameleon?
andrew didn't like dogs, and wasn't huge on my non-stop obsession either. i ALSO thought he was CRAZY! but forcing him into it has been one of the best things of his life (he would tell you this). dare i say it, he almost loves animals MORE THAN I DO NOW! ...so cameron can turn around. give him his own dog to love and care for (as pain in the butt as they may be at first) he just may become a lover too. (:
So maybe I'm one of 20 that don't care for dogs but they are a ton of work and babies are enough work!! We probably will never have a dog until our kids are out of the house...that's if Levi is down but even then, when you go on vacation you have to figure out whose watching/feeding and all that...totally not my thing to revolve around a dog but that's just me! They are cute but I always tell myself they never stay that cute!
I love having a dog. I have a schnauzer and they don't shed fur. My boy is 3 years old now and is very well behaved. He only goes to the loo in specific areas, hardly barks and during the day is very docile.
Post a Comment